403-252-9048

Differences Between Types of Gold

Jan 18, 2024

DIFFERENT-METAL-TYPES

Are you considering buying a gold necklace for your loved one? Picture this: you walk into a jewelry store and are presented with two options – white gold and yellow gold. You might wonder, what exactly is the difference between these two types of gold? Well, buckle up because we’re about to unravel the mysteries of white and yellow gold, as well as the intriguing world of karat measurements. Finally, we will debunk the myth of pure gold and delve into the factors that influence its color. Get ready to embark on a fascinating journey as we uncover the nuances of different types of gold and help you select the perfect piece of jewelry.

White Gold Vs. Yellow Gold

When choosing between white gold and yellow gold, it is important to understand the key differences between these two popular types of gold. White gold is created by mixing pure gold with white metals such as nickel or palladium. It is then coated with rhodium to give it a shiny, silver-like appearance. On the other hand, yellow gold is made by mixing pure gold with alloys like copper and zinc. This gives it the warm, yellow hue often associated with traditional gold jewelry. The main difference between the two is their color, with white gold being more contemporary and yellow gold having a more classic appeal. Ultimately, the choice between white and yellow gold comes down to personal preference and the desired aesthetic for your jewelry.

Understanding 14k Gold

14k gold is a popular choice for jewelry due to its durability and affordability. It is composed of 58.3% pure gold, with the remaining 41.7% made up of other metals such as copper, silver, or zinc. This alloy gives 14k gold its strength and makes it more durable than higher-karat gold. However, it is important to note that 14k gold may still scratch or tarnish over time. 14k gold jewelry is also more affordable compared to higher karat gold because it contains a lower percentage of pure gold. This makes it a practical option for those seeking a balance between quality and cost. When purchasing 14k gold jewelry, look for a hallmark or stamp indicating its purity.

Properties of 18k Gold

18k gold reveals a higher percentage of pure gold and a luxurious choice for jewelry. With 75% gold content, 18k gold is considered a high-quality option. The remaining 25% is made up of other metals, such as copper, silver, or palladium, which are added to increase durability and strength. This higher gold content gives 18k gold a rich and vibrant color, making it an attractive choice for fine jewelry. It also offers a good balance between durability and purity. While it is slightly less durable than 14k gold, it is still highly resistant to tarnishing and scratches. If you’re looking for a piece of jewelry that exudes elegance and sophistication, 18k gold is a prudent option.

The Myth of Pure Gold

As we continue our exploration of gold, it’s important to address the myth surrounding the existence of pure gold. Contrary to popular belief, pure gold does not exist in its natural state. Gold, in its purest form, is actually too soft to be used in jewelry or other practical applications. Instead, gold is often alloyed with other metals to increase its strength and durability. The most common alloys used in jewelry are 14k and 18k gold. 14k gold contains 58.3% pure gold, while 18k gold contains 75% pure gold. These alloys not only enhance the durability of gold but also give it different colors, such as white or yellow. So, while pure gold may be a tempting idea, it’s nothing more than a myth in the world of jewelry.

The Many Hues of Gold

Factors influencing the color of gold include the type and amount of metal alloys used in its composition. Pure gold, also known as 24 k gold, is naturally yellow. However, when other metal alloys are added to pure gold, its color can change. For example, white gold is created by alloying pure gold with white metals such as nickel or palladium. This gives it a silvery-white appearance. On the other hand, yellow gold is made by adding copper and silver alloys to pure gold, resulting in its distinct yellow hue. Additionally, the amount of metal alloys used can also affect the color of gold. For instance, 14k gold contains a higher percentage of metal alloys compared to 18k gold, which can make it appear slightly darker or more intense in color. Let Breslauer & Warren help you experience the allure of gold in all its forms at our downtown boutique, where your unique style shines in every karat. Call to set up an appointment today: (403) 252-9048

Schedule Viewing